Inglés, Reading8° Básico
What you must know about of the region of Magallanes y de la Antartica Chilena
The surface of the region of Magallanes y de la Antartica Chilena consists of 132,291.1 km2, without considering the Chilean Antarctic Territory, which corresponds to 1,250,000 km2.
Administrative division and population
– The surface of the region of Magallanes y de la Antartica Chilena consists of 132,291.1 km2, without considering the Chilean Antarctic Territory, which corresponds to 1,250,000 km2.
– The region of Magallanes has four provinces: Ultima Esperanza, Magallanes, Tierra del Fuego and Antartica Chilena.
– According to the 2002 Census, 150,826 people inhabit the region of Magallanes. This number indicates that it is one of the least populated regions in the country.
– Ovine cattle farming stands out as the most relevant economic task. Also important is the extraction of natural gas and oil.
– The generation of electrical energy in the region of Magallanes is the responsibility of an independent complex called the Magallanes Electrical System. It works with thermal plants thanks to natural gas and diesel oil.
– Fort Bulnes, built in 1843 to safeguard Chiles sovereignty in the straight of Magellan. It has been a National Monument since 1968.
– Any activity that takes place on Antarctic land must be subjected to the dispositions set forth in the Antarctic Treaty. One of them is respect for the balance of the environment.
– Torres del Paine National Park, a World Biosphere Reserve since 1978.
“Authorized for publishing by Resolution Nº190 from June 12th 2008 by the National Office of State Borders and Boundaries. The publication and circulation of the maps that refer or are related to Chiles boundaries and borders do not make a commitment on the part of the State of Chile, in accordance with Art. 2º, letter g) of the DFL (decree) Nº83 from 1979 by the Ministry of Foreign Relations”.