Skip to main content

 It is bound by Poland to the north, by the Czech Republic to the northeast, by Ukraine to the east, by Austria to the southwest, and by Hungary to the south. It is a mountainous and landlocked country.

The Slovak ethnic group, of Slavic origin, comprises nearly 80% of the population. The other 20% is made up of Hungarians, Czechs, Gypsies, Poles, Germans, Russians and Ukrainians. Mining and industry are its main productive sectors.